hk+np studio is the coming together of two entrepreneurial architects who have applied their design skills to a sophisticated line of understated and timeless jewelry pieces. Inspired by their architectural work on the West Coast and with an unfailing eye for quality and detail, hk + np studio creates jewelry that is thoughtfully designed and exquisitely made.
hk+np studio is the brainchild of Hiroko Kobayashi and Neil Prakash – partners in life as well as business. Hiroko is from metropolitan Sapporo, Japan and Neil is from pastoral Prince Albert, Canada. The two met in while apprenticing in Vancouver at the office of Nick Milkovich Architects Inc. working alongside Arthur Erickson.
In their architectural positions, both Hiroko and Neil focus on design development and detail, a transferable skill that they have carried with them to jewelry making. For the pair, architecture is about the dignified composition of material, light, space, and rhythm. The pieces that they create are an attempt to further express and explore these elements in a different form.
hk+np’s designs are unique in that they bridge traditional and contemporary techniques from multiple disciplines. Simple sketches, origami, complex modeling, and rapid prototyping are combined with traditional casting and hand finishing. Within the complexity of this process, Hiroko and Neil aim to achieve designs of relative simplicity.
The jewelry collection includes Twist, Q, Lunar, Infinity, Zigzag and Petal.
- The Twist series is inspired by the interplay of light reflecting off a water ripple.
- The Q series adds volume to a place of ornamentation, and aims to capture a moment of anticipated beauty.
- The Infinity series arose while the couple gazed across English Bay towards the boundless horizon.
- The Lunar series was made to reflect the silver moonlight, with each piece mimicking half of the lunar cycle.
- The Zigzag series was conceived while walking through a bamboo forest in Kyoto.
- The Petal series was inspired by the Camellia (Tsubaki) flower, which is a symbol of love, gratitude, and perfection.
hk+np jewelry can be purchased online or in select locations across Canada, in the US, Spain and Japan. For more information visit: www.hkplusnp.com
About hk+np studio:
hk+np studio is the coming together of two entrepreneurial architects who are applying their design skills to the creation of understated and timeless jewelry pieces. Inspired by their architectural experiences on the West Coast and with an unfailing eye for quality and detail, they produce jewelry that’s exquisitely designed and made. hk+np jewelry can be purchased in select locations across Canada, in the US, Spain, and Japan. For more information visit: www.hkplusnp.com